This was the topic of our #TipTuesday live feed this week, and the scale of thankful feedback we received was really not what we expected. So for those of you who missed it, here’s a recap.
Just like you I am part of many groups and pages on Facebook and the last couple of week’s people have been posting quite irate posts and comments regarding their business posts and Facebook. They claim that Facebook is sabotaging their business by unjustly flagging their posts or having their posts reported as spam.
When I investigate these cases, it’s less than 5% that it really is due to the algorithm or spamming as outlined in the group, on the page or as defined by Facebook. The other 95% is because of ONE reason and one reason only. Let me explain:
When you first opened your Facebook account (personal profile), you clicked on something that said that you have read the terms and conditions of Facebook and that you accept these terms and conditions. But we all know that we very rarely actually read the terms and conditions. That does not mean that you are exempt from these though.
So, once you’ve opened your Facebook account you have something we refer to as a personal profile. This is the place where you have a nice profile pic of yourself, you connect with all your friends and post about your feelings and what you’re doing and generally share your thoughts. You are not allowed to post ANY profitable action posts on your personal profile.
A profitable post constitutes anything that generates cash flow – whether this is your main source of income or something you are doing on the side. Facebook classifies these posts as a business post which means that it should be posted on a business/company page. You are allowed to share profitable action posts from your business page to your personal profile, but you are not allowed to post these directly on your personal profile.
Now I get many who say “but I’ve posted MANY posts on my personal profile where I was selling something and I didn’t get flagged or reported”. Don’t underestimate artificial intelligence or the people around you. I’m not referring to a post where you are selling the golf set you’ve never used or an old phone after an upgrade; I am referring to general income streams which includes things like cosmetics, Tupperware, used car parts – ANYTHING that is profitable and is a reoccurring theme in your posts. Just like Google, Facebook tracks all your online actions.
So is Facebook out to get you and sabotaging your business? No. Sadly, in most cases, it’s merely you sabotaging yourself.